Monday, 29 August 2011

Conscious Chocolate - Review

Being both a diabetic and a chocoholic is a very bad mix!  Fortunately my diabetes is very well controlled and I am able to occasionally have a treat without it adversely affecting my sugar levels.  But I was still very excited to have found a chocolate that has no added sugar; after all it's got to be better for me.  However the big question is - does it taste as good?  Let's find out more.....


Conscious Chocolate creates organic, raw, handmade bars that are free from pesticides, dairy, gluten, soya and refined sugars.  Conscious Chocolate is only sweetened with blue agave nectar (cactus syrup). Agave nectar is suitable for diabetics as it is 85% fructose and has a low glycaemic index and glycaemic load (GI & GL) so it doesn’t imbalance the natural blood sugar levels.

To be honest I wasn't really sure what 'raw' chocolate was, but from a good read up on Conscious Chocolate's website I found it meant that during the making process it was always kept below 42 degrees C.  Because the organic cacao beans are fermented at low temperatures and sun-dried, not roasted, the bars remain packed full of the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, flavonoids and theobromine that make chocolate so good for you.  Yes, chocolate can be good for you!


I was kindly sent two bars to try - Essential Orange and Healthy Heart.  I tried the Healthy Heart bar first, which contains maca, vanilla pods and blue-green algae (!).  The last ingredient initially put me off, but luckily I couldn't detect any taste of it!  As soon as I opened the packaging I was hit by the rich, chocolate aroma.  The chocolate looked very different in appearance to any bars I've seen before; it doesn't have the usual glossy appearance, which I assume is because it's raw.  It had a lovely texture though, and was very truffle-like - yum!

Obviously having no added milk these bars are very dark, and you only needed to nibble small pieces to get the full flavour.  It was delicious, luxurious and very rich.  I couldn't manage much at a time (very unusual for me!) which is great if you are watching your weight, as you don't need to eat a king size bar to get your daily chocolate fix!


The Essential Orange bar was my favourite of the two.  It is described by Conscious Chocolate as 'a gorgeous blend of orange flavours, smooth and creamy for a flavour that is both comforting and heavenly' and they're not far wrong!  It's like a healthy chocolate Orange - perfect!

If you like your chocolate sweet and milky then these are probably not for you.  But if you're a fan of dark chocolate, you will love these bars.  They are full of top quality, healthy ingredients and obviously made with lots of love.  For more information and to purchase a bar to try visit www.consciouschocolate.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment